Texas A&M University
B.S. Petroleum Engineering, 1976
- Founder (1986) and President of Bruington Engineering, LLC, a San Antonio based, fully integrated petroleum engineering and consulting company.
- Co-founder (2007) and President of Bruington Operating LLC, a Railroad Commission approved oil and gas operator.
- Served as the United Nations Technical Representative to the Oil and Natural Gas Commission of India for the preparation of a feasibility study regarding the drilling and completion of horizontal wells in unconsolidated sandstone reservoirs.
- Engineered well designs for 4500 meter wells in Bolivia.
- Prepared tender offers and analyzed responses for drilling of wells in Tunisia.
- Selected as technical advisor to Chapter 7 bankruptcy trustee.
- Supervised the planning and drilling of numerous wells ranging in depth from 500 feet to 17,500 feet including HTHP wells in south Texas with bottomhole pressures exceeding 15,000 psi, bottomhole temperatures in excess of 400°F, gas stream content of 15% CO2 and 95 ppm H2S. The HTHP wells required the use of specialized tubulars.
- Experienced in the management of a multi-rig Eagle Ford drilling and completion operation. This included the preparation of well design, drilling and completion programs. Assisted in the development of the basis of design for drilling and completion. Initiated the technical committee that developed NACE compliant specifications for production casing. Held positions of interim drilling and completion manager during transition period.
- Selected to be a member of technical committee that designed a pilot program to develop oil and gas reserves from tight reservoirs in Oman.
- Supervised the successful drilling and completion of horizontal wells in the Eagle Ford, Pearsall, Olmos, Austin Chalk and Buda formations. Introduced innovative techniques to reduce drilling costs by over 30%.
- Managed workover operations and completion of AGI project on an acid gas injection (AGI) well and engineered the well design for the drilling.
- Society of Petroleum Engineers, Balcones Section – served as scholarship chairman from 1997 – 2000.
- Society of Petroleum Engineers – Section Service Award
- American Petroleum Institute
- American Association of Drilling Engineers – Advisor
- Texas Independent Producers and Royalty Owners Association
- Registered Professional Engineer in Texas (55,514)
- San Antonio Petroleum Club – served as Vice-President (1999-2000; 2014-2015) and President (2000-2001). Currently on the Board of Governors, House Committee and Chairman of Tenant/Landlord Relations Committee
- Finalist for North San Antonio Chamber of Commerce 2003 Small Business Leader of the Year Award
- One of fifteen finalists in the Top Engineers category for the 2013 Texas Top Producers Program, Texas Independent Producers and Royalty Owners Association
- McQueeney Lions Club
- The Alternative Board (TAB) 2000 – 2008
- Desk and Derrick – San Antonio Chapter – Boss of the Year in 1999 and 2014; Margie Camps Award of Excellence, 2013
- G. Davis, G. Wilcox, M. Arnone, and S. Bruington. 2016.
Rejuvenating the Buda Limestone Reservoir in Texas by Using Crude Oil and Nitrogen Injection in Underbalanced Regime: Case History. Paper SPE/IADC 179715 presented at SPE/IADC Managed Pressure Drilling and Underbalanced Operations Conference and Exhibition, Galveston, Texas, USA, 12-13 April.